Wilted Methi with Juicy Tomatoes
- 1 lb. Rainbow Cherry or Plum Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ea. Purple Tomato, sliced
- 1 ea. Red Beef Tomato, sliced
- 1 ea. Orange Tomato, sliced
- 1 T Black Garlic, sliced
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Canola Oil
- 2 tsp. Whole Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp. Whole Dried Methi Seeds
- 1 c Fresh Methi Leaves
- 1 tsp. Aleppo Chili
- 2 tsp. Lime Juice
- ½ lb. Fresh Paneer Cheese, diced or julienned
- Zest of 1 Lime
On a sheet tray, place tomatoes sliced in uniform thickness, garlic and 2 teaspoons salt. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in a heated 300°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes until tomatoes loosen up and release their juice. Set aside.
In a sauté pan, heat canola oil to the smoking point and add cumin and methi seeds. Very quickly add methi leaves, salt, chile and zest. Remove from heat and sprinkle with lime juice and toss with cheese.
To serve, plate with tomatoes, top with methi and spice mixture. Serve with breads such as paratha or thepla. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Chef Heena Patel, Besharam, San Francisco, from Food Fanatics® Magazine