The XMas Burger
- 1 small onion, finely diced, divided use
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ sprig rosemary, leaves only
- 1 pound turkey, half white, half dark
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- ½ stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground dried sage
- 2 slices day-old bread, diced
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 4 buns
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 pieces of lettuce
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Cranberry compote, recipe follows
Combine half of the onion, egg, breadcrumbs, mustard and rosemary in food processor; pulse into puree. Add mixture to meat and season with salt and pepper. Form into three large balls.
Heat butter in saute pan and sweat remaining onion, carrots, celery and herbs until soft. Add bread and stock, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Split each ball of meat, flatten slightly and fill with golf ball-sized portion of stuffing. Re-form the meatball around the stuffing. Roast burgers on greased, parchment-lined sheet tray at 375 F for about 20 minutes. Correct seasonings, place on a bun and top with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and cranberry compote. Makes 3 servings.
To make cranberry compote, combine ¾ cup cranberries, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 vanilla bean, 1 ounce Wild Turkey bourbon, ½ cup orange juice and zest of 1 orange in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; simmer 10 minutes.
Executive Chef Peter McKnight; The Ace; Toronto