Smoked and Braised Brisket with Morels and English peas
- 5 lbs. Brisket, trimmed
- 33 g Kosher salt, plus extra to taste
- 33 g Italian espresso
- 2 c Red wine
- 4 c Beef or chicken stock
- 1 T Grapeseed oil
- 1 ea. Shallot, diced small
- 4 to 6 oz. Morels, halved, if large
- ¾ c English peas, blanched
- 1 T Butter Lemon thyme, leaves only to garnish
- Splash of white wine
- Splash of chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pea shoots to garnish
Rub brisket with salt and espresso 24 hours prior to smoking. Smoke for 20 Minutes at 190°F until medium-rare.
Transfer to a roasting pan, and add red wine and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and braise at 300°F for 2 to 2.5 hours or until fork tender without tearing the meat. Cool in liquid.
At service, portion for two people and warm in its natural juice hold. Heat oil until hot and sauté shallot. Add morels and sauté over high heat for a minute, add wine, chicken stock and peas. Finish with butter, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Include garnish in a separate take out container.
Chef/Owner Brian Clevenger Raccolto, Seattle from Food Fanatics Magazine®