Humboldt Park Vegetarian Jibarito
- 2 green plantains halved, lengthwise
- Peanut oil as needed for frying
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 block extra firm tofu, sliced*
- Salt as needed
- 2 slices cheese, your choice
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
Fry plantains in preheated 325 F oil for 30 seconds; drain and cool. Place between parchment and press to flatten.
Combine onion, garlic, lime, spices and yogurt, and spread on tofu to marinate 1 hour. Heat grill or flat top and sear tofu. Fry plantains again in same temperature until crispy, about 20 seconds; drain and salt. Make sandwich, topping a slice of plantain with cheese, tofu, vegetables, mayonnaise, hot sauce and another plantain. Makes 2 servings.
*ManBQue also uses chicken.
Chef-owner John Kaplan; ManBQue, Chicago