Fat Elvis Pie
- 1 cup milk, divided use
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2½ ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste, divided use
- 2 pinches kosher salt, divided use
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg yolk, pasteurized
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 medium bananas, cut into 1-inch discs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pie shell, recipe follows
- ½ cup banana chips
- ½ cup pretzels, small knot-shaped, broken
Bring ¾ cup milk and cream to a boil. In a deep heatproof bowl, mix remaining milk with cornstarch to make a slurry, then whisk in egg and sugar. Slowly whisk in hot milk, combine and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolates, 2 tablespoons butter, ¼ teaspoon vanilla paste and a pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent film from forming on top; chill.
Beat together cream cheese and remaining butter (softened) until smooth and add peanut butter, egg yolk, condensed milk and remaining vanilla paste; set aside. Toss bananas with orange and lemon juice and drain.
To compile, spoon chocolate pastry cream into shell, making a well in the center. Layer the bananas in a single layer on top. Smooth on peanut butter filling and sprinkle remaining salt on top. Chill 20 minutes. At service, press banana and pretzel pieces on the outer edge of filling. Makes 8 servings.
To make 1 graham cracker, peanut and pretzel crumb shell: Combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, ¾ cup roughly ground pretzels, ¼ cup roughly ground salted peanuts, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and pinch of kosher salt. Add 9 tablespoons melted butter and rub into crumbs until mixture holds together. Press into greased 9-inch pie tin and use second tin to mold into shape, distributing contents evenly. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 6 minutes.
Owner Paula Haney, Hoosier Mama Pie Company, Chicago