- 6 c Water
- 45 g Kombu
- 15 g Bonito flakes
- 1 oz. White wine
- 2 oz. Unsalted butter
- 4 oz. Spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 2 oz. Cordyceps mushrooms
- 1 oz. Raw porcinis, thinly shaved*
- Chives, minced, as needed
- Black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine kombu and water and bring to a simmer for 3 minutes to make dashi. Remove from heat and strain. Add bonito; rest for 5 minutes. Strain through a cheesecloth.
Add 3 ounces dashi and wine to a pan. Reduce by half and add butter. Season with soy and black pepper to taste. Add spaghetti, cordyceps and porcinis to pasta, and cook while tossing to mix for 1 minute. Twirl pasta around a meat fork and transfer to plate, pouring excess sauce over the top. Garnish with chives and black pepper. Makes 1 serving.
*Use raw, shaved turnips when porcinis are not in season instead of radish.
Chef Remy Pettus, Bardo, Minneapolis, Minnesota, from Food Fanatics® magazine