Charred Avocado Salad
- 2 c Romaine lettuce, torn in pieces
- 1 c Spring lettuce mix
- 1 c Bok choy, julienned
- 1-1/2 oz. Heirloom carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 oz. Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 oz. Snow peas, halved
- 1 oz. Cucumber, halved, seeded, thinly sliced
- 3/4 oz. Radishes, thinly sliced, soaked briefly in ice water
- 1-1/2 oz. Ginger-miso vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1/2 Avocado, pitted, unpeeled
- 1/4 tsp. Olive oil blend
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Toasted sesame seeds
Combine all the produce except avocado with dressing, and mound in the center of a large salad bowl.
Place avocado, cut side up, on sizzle platter; coat with oil and sprinkle with salt. Char heavily with a blow torch, then cut into eight square pieces, slipping them from peel. Add to salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
To make ginger-miso vinaigrette: combine 1 tablespoon chopped ginger, 1⁄2 clove garlic, 2 tablespoons yellow miso, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon raw sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly drizzle in 1 cup flavorless oil; strain. Makes about 1 cup.
Chef culinary officer Clint Woods, The Henry, West Hollywood, California, from Food Fanatics® magazine