Alaskan King Salmon Belly Tartare
- 1 Roma tomato
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 5 ounces Alaskan king salmon belly, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons minced chive
- 1½ teaspoons capers, chopped
- ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (high quality)
- ½ garlic clove (minced)
- 2 ounces Alaskan king crab leg
- ½ tablespoon Alaskan king salmon roe
Peel, deseed and quarter tomato. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, ½ teaspoon shallot and season with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet and slow roast in preheated 222 F oven for 25 minutes. Cool and chop finely.
In a small mixing bowl over ice, combine salmon belly, chives, remaining shallots, capers and tomatoes. Add remaining tablespoons olive oil and juice of half lemon; set aside. Combine mayonnaise with garlic and toss with crab; gently fold into salmon. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with roe. Makes two servings.
Chef-owner Michael Ferraro, Delicatessen, New York