- 2 lbs. Short rib, sliced into individual portions
- 2 T Vegetable oil
- 8 c Water
- 1/4 c Garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 to 12 large pieces Dried Korean anchovy 3⁄4 cup doenjang (fermented soybean paste)
- 1 ea. Kelp piece, 4 x 4-in.
- 1 tsp. Korean chili flakes, plus more for garnishing
- 2 c Short grain Korean rice
- Scallions, chopped, as needed
- Sesame seeds, as needed
- Cooked Kosher salt, as needed
Liberally season meat with salt and sear all sides in a braising pan heated with oil until all sides are browned. Meanwhile, purée garlic with some water; set aside. Remove head and guts of anchovy; set aside.
In a medium pot, add water, garlic purée, anchovies, doenjang, kelp, Korean chili flakes and beef; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours. Discard anchovy and kelp. Check beef for firmness. It should be soft and pull off the bone (should not fall off). Cool and refrigerate overnight to develop flavors.
To serve, heat meat to a simmer, place desired portion in center of a shallow plate or bowl and spoon broth around it. Garnish with scallions, sesame seeds and a pinch of chili flakes with a side of rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Chef Andrew Lim, Perilla, Chicago, IL, from Food Fanatics Magazine®