Pork Achiote Torta Ahogada
- 2 lbs Chef’s Line® All-Natural Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder in Achiote Sauce
- 6 Cross Valley Farms® Fresh Jalapeno sliced thinly
- 4 lbs Cross Valley Farms® Red Onions, peeled and trimmed, divided
- 4 oz Monarch® Apple Cider Vinegar
- To taste Monarch® Kosher Salt
- 3 lbs Del Pasado Queso Fresco Cheese crumbled
- 25 Chef’s Line® Torta Bun
- 25 Dried Chile de Arbol
- 12 cloves Cross Valley Farms® Fresh Garlic
- 8 Cross Valley Farms® Plum Tomatoes
- 2 ½ quarts Minors Frozen Roasted Chicken Stock
- ½ cup Monarch® Carolina Reaper Wing Sauce
- ½ lb Pasado® Pork Baking Lard divided
- 24 oz Chef’s Line® Crème Fraiche
To make Ahogada sauce:
Roast tomatoes, garlic and half of onions in a 425°F oven until slightly charred and cooked through, then peel tomatoes. Toast chiles de arbol in a dry pan until toasted. Puree chiles in a blender with tomatoes, onions, garlic, chicken stock and seasoned sauce from pork shoulder until smooth.
Heat lard in a sauce pan over medium heat, add puree and simmer for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add Carolina Reaper Wing Sauce to taste and a pinch of salt.
To make pickled onions:
Slice remaining half of onions into thin slices. Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute then drain. In same pot combine onions, vinegar, salt and just enough water to keep onions submerged in liquid. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, turn off heat and pour mixture into refrigerated container. Chill completely.
Assemble torta sandwiches:
Reheat pork shoulder according to package directions. Add the juices in the bag as part of the ahogada sauce. When hot, shred pork using two forks into bite sized pieces. Heat additional lard on flat top and griddle pork until edges turn crispy.
Slice bread lengthwise and smother with the Ahogada sauce. Toast both sides on the griddle until slightly caramelized, stuff with grilled pork, pickled onions, sliced jalapenos and drizzle with crème Fraiche. Slice in half and serve with cut edges sitting in a pool of warm Ahogada sauce. Yield: 25 portions.