Pig Face Candy Bar
- 1 pound marbled heritage pork head meat with fat, diced
- 2 tablespoons pork stock
- 1 tablespoon pickled mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons green onion, charred
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley, minced
- Raw sugar
- Pear and jalapeño chow chow or other pickled relish
- Housemade crackers, your recipe
Combine pork and pork stock in a Cryovac bag and sous vide at 180°F for 12 hours.
Combine pork, mustard seed, mustard, green onion, salt, shallot, garlic, tarragon and parsley; grind with medium die plate. Line small sheet tray with plastic wrap, pack mixture in even layer, and wrap in several layers of plastic. Chill 24 hours. Carefully unmold; cut into 4-inch by 1-inch portions.
At service, coat top with even layer of raw sugar. With hand torch, brûlée sugar until crackly and crisp. Serve with chowchow and crackers.
Chef Stephen Bonin, Geraldine’s, Austin, TX, from Food Fanatics Magazine