Korean Goggi Wings
- 1 Large clove garlic, smashed
- 1'' Piece ginger, chopped
- 5-1/2 oz. Palm sugar
- 5-1/2 oz. Gochujang
- 3-1/2 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- 3-1/2 oz. Rice wine vinegar
- 2 oz. Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1-1/2 oz. Asian sesame oil
- 3/4 oz. Oyster sauce
- 8 Chicken wings, tips removed
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
- Slivered green onions, to garnish
- Quick-pickled vegetables, recipe follows
Purée all ingredients except chicken, garnishes and pickled vegetables in a food processor until smooth.
Marinate chicken wings overnight or up to 48 hours. Drain, pat dry and arrange on sheet tray. Roast in a 450°F preheated oven until cooked through, turning once, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion and serve with pickled vegetables.
To make pickled vegetables: slice 1 small peeled carrot and 2 Persian cucumbers at a diagonal. Bring 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil and salt to taste.
Pour over vegetables and cool to room temperature.
Chef Tournant Jason Xu, Z Bar, Peninsula Hotel, Chicago, Illinois, from Food Fanatics® magazine