- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup broccoli florettes
- 1 cup summer squash, halved and sliced
- ½ cup red bell pepper julienned
- 5 shishito peppers, halved lengthwise
- ¼ Japanese eggplant, sliced
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, julienned
- 1 royal trumpet mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ bunch shimeji mushrooms, stems and caps
- Glaze, recipe follows
- 24 ½-inch pieces mochi rice cake
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Parmesan
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds as needed
Heat oil saute pan and cook vegetables, about 4 minutes. Add rice cakes, stir in half cup glaze and cook another 2 minutes stirring rapidly. Add butter and Parmesan and cook 1 more minute stirring rapidly.
Garnish with green onion and toasted sesame seeds.
To make glaze, combine 1 cup mirin, 1 cup tamari, ½ cup water, ½ cup sake, 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil and 1 teaspoon chili oil.
Chef-owner Takashi Yagahashi; Slurping Turtle, Chicago