Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Zest and Mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Kosher salt as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon serrano chili, minced
Heat canola oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds, shaking pan and roasting for about 2 minutes. Toss asparagus with mustard seeds, chili flakes, salt, pepper, and 1½ tablespoons olive oil; set aside.
Combine the remaining 1½ tablespoons olive oil with lemon zest and juice, shallots, ginger, and chili.
Heat grill, and cook asparagus 2 to 3 minutes. Toss with lemon-oil mixture. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Chef Floyd Cardoz, Bombay Canteen, Mumbai, India