Duck Confit Fried Rice
- 3 tablespoons duck fat
- 4 tablespoons Chinese sausage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ¼ cup green beans, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup duck confit, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups jasmine rice, cooked
- Sichuan peppercorn salt, recipe follows
- 2 ounces duck cracklings, recipe follows
- 1 ounce green onion, sliced
In a wok over medium-high heat, add duck fat and saute Chinese sausage; cook until rendered slightly. Add shallots and garlic, saute until fragrant. Add green beans and saute for 1 minute. Add rice, stirring in eggs, and cook for 2 minutes. Add duck confit, cook until warmed through. Stir in duck cracklings and green onions.
To make Sichuan pepper salt, combine 1 cup Sichuan peppercorns, ½ cup black peppercorns and 1 cup salt in dry pan. Cook until salt turns grey. Grind and sift.
To make duck cracklings, cover 1 pound duck skins with fat and ½ cup water and cook over low heat, stirring until duck skins turn golden brown and crisp. Drain, and season with salt.
Executive Chef Patricia Yeo; Khong River House; Miami