Charred Brussels Sprout Giardiniera
- 2 T Olive oil plus 1-1⁄2 cups, divided use
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, stemmed and halved
- 1 c Malt vinegar
- 1 c Rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 c Water
- 5 T Salt
- 5 Bay leaves
- 2 oz. Garlic, chopped
- 2 T Dried oregano
- 1 T Black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 oz. Celery, diced
- 8 oz. Carrots, diced
- 8 oz. Cured Moroccan olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 oz. Fresh serrano chilies, sliced
Char and cook Brussels sprouts in a sauté pan heated with 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat; remove.
Bring vinegars, water and salt to a boil. Add bay leaves, garlic and oregano; remove from heat.
Pour mixture over the Brussels sprouts and remaining ingredients and let sit 1 hour. Top with 1-1⁄2 cups olive oil. Makes about 5 servings.
To make malt vinegar: Leave stout in a rye barrel for 2 months. Cover bunghole with cheesecloth.
Chef Mike Bancroft, Co-op Sauce, Sauce and Bread Kitchen, Chicago, Illinois, from Food Fanatics Magazine®