- 2 cups coarse kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 3 large beets, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shallot, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons smoked trout caviar
- Housemade sour cream and onion potato chips
Mix coarse salt, horseradish and thyme. Coat beets with salt mixture and place on baking sheet with layer of salt on the top and bottom of beets. Roast in preheated 350 F oven 1½ hours. Cool; crack salt crust open with a large knife and peel, rinsing if necessary.
Grate beets. Whisk together vinegar and sugar and toss with beets; marinate 1 hour; drain. Toss with olive oil, chives and shallots.
To plate, mound or spread layer of beets on plate. Place a dollop of roe on each egg and place on beets. Garnish with chips. Makes 4 servings.
Chef Yehuda Sichel, Abe Fisher, Philadelphia