- 50 pounds beef fat*
- 5 tablespoons Coleman’s dry mustard
- 5 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne
- 2⁄3 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 gallons soybean oil, canola oil or blended olive oil (80/20)
Place all ingredients in a pan and render fat on medium to medium-low until it is lightly browned and all of the fat has been released. Strain. Strain again through double or triple layer cheesecloth. Beef Love should be clear. Brush on steak seasoned generously with salt and pepper. Makes enough for 1,000 steaks.
*Smaller chunks or ground fat give best results.
Rick Gresh, David Burke’s Primehouse, Chicago