Bad Ass Burger
- 1¼ pound applewood smoked bacon, partially frozen
- 1¼ pound ground beef (hangar steak, brisket, chuck)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoon horseradish
- 1½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 ounces buttermilk
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 pieces green leaf lettuce
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 4 hamburger buns
Cut applewood smoked bacon into 1-inch pieces. Place in food processor and pulse until puréed but before fat becomes smeared; chill 30 minutes. Fold ground beef into chilled bacon by hand and mix thoroughly. Portion into eight patties.
Whisk together mayonnaise, horseradish, Worcestershire and garlic; refrigerate.
In separate bowl, sift together flour with salt and pepper.
Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or deep skillet to 350 F. Dip bacon into buttermilk, dredge in flour and fry until golden; drain.
Cook patties to medium well on grill or grill pan. Melt one slice of cheese on each patty. Spread one-quarter of the horseradish mayo on top bun. Layer one slice of lettuce, two tomatoes and two patties with melted cheese on bottom bun. Cut bacon in half; layer two full pieces on top of patties. Keep closed with skewer.
Makes 4 double patty burgers.
Chef-owner Frank Scibelli; Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar, Charlotte, N.C.