- 14 eggs, divided use
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided use
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper, divided use
- 10 ounces pecorino romano cheese, grated, divided use
- 6 large zucchinis sliced lengthwise about ¼-inch thick
- 3 cups flour
- 2 pounds housemade ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 cups marinara
- 20 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- Canola oil, as needed
Whisk together 12 eggs, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon freshly grated pepper and 6 ounces romano cheese in a large bowl.
Coat the zucchini slices in flour, then dip into the egg mixture. Fry until golden brown. Drain and cool.
Combine ricotta cheese, remaining eggs, parsley, remaining salt, pepper and romano cheese in a large bowl.
Layer ingredients starting with marinara (about 4 ounces if using a 9x13-inch pan) followed by slightly overlapping fried zucchini and 8 more ounces marinara. Spread a third of the ricotta mixture over the marinara and sprinkle with 6 ounces mozzarella.
Repeat layering the zucchini, sauce, ricotta filling and mozzarella, ending with 1 cup of mozzarella.
Cover the dish in foil and bake in a preheated 350 F convection oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and hold until service and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes longer to brown. Makes 8 servings. Adjust baking time for individual servings depending on the serving vessel.
Recipe by Chef-Owners Carla and Christine Pallotta, Nebo Cucina & Enoteca, Boston