Wood-Grilled Mushroom Bruschetta
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Pinch sea salt, plus extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons black truffle oil
- 6 ounces olive oil, divided use
- 3 cups assorted mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, maitake)
- Black pepper, freshly cracked as needed
- 8 slices multigrain bread, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 3 ounces goat feta
- 2 cups winter greens (such as mustard and kale)
Combine vinegar, shallots, parsley, sugar and sea salt. Whisk in truffle oil and 2 ounces of olive oil; set aside. Slice mushrooms into 1-inch thick pieces. Toss with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette and season with salt and black pepper. Rest for 20 minutes.
Grill mushrooms on both sides until tender. Use 3 ounces olive oil to brush bread slices and sprinkle with salt; grill. Toss greens in remaining ounce olive oil and salt and saute until lightly wilted.
Top each bread slice with mushrooms, wilted greens and crumbled feta. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Chef Nathan Thurston, Stars Restaurant Rooftop and Grill Room, Charleston, S.C.