- 4 pheasants, about 1½ pounds each
- ½ pound butter, divided use
- 6 garlic cloves, divided use
- 10 sprigs sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 3 fresh bay leaves, divided use
- ½ loaf country bread, torn
- 1 cups pistachios, toasted and chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Oil as needed
Brine pheasants using your recipe. Remove pat dry and rest overnight.
Melt a third of the butter over medium low heat. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, half of the thyme and 1 chopped bay leaf; saute until fragrant. Add bread, stir frequently and brown. Cool; add nuts and moisten with stock.
Stuff birds (tunneled or partially de-boned). Truss legs; pin wings back.
Secure the open cavity. Heat large roasting pan with oil and brown birds, breast side down first. Add remaining butter, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Baste birds and roast in preheated 425 F oven for 30 minutes. Rest and serve with your choice of pureed root vegetable such as parsnips. Makes 4 servings.
Executive Chef Amanda Barnes, Hot Chocolate, Chicago