Spring Pea and Carolina Rice Soup
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 stalks green garlic
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 cup English peas, shocked
- 1½ cups Boston bibb lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cooked Carolina Gold rice
- 1¼ cups spring onion, finely sliced
- ¼ pound prosciutto, sliced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 mint leaves, thinly sliced
Simmer chicken stock, wine, green garlic and zest for 45 minutes; strain.
Add peas, simmer 5 minutes and add lettuce, rice and spring onions; simmer 5 minutes.
Add prosciutto and ladle into warm bowls, garnishing with Parmesan, olive oil, black pepper and mint. Makes 4 servings.
Chef-owner Billy Allin; Cakes & Ale Cafe; Decatur, Georgia