Spicy Shrimp Sandwich
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup red wine vinaigrette, your choice
- 1½ pounds medium shrimp
- ½ cup rice bran oil
- 3 tablespoons sambal olek
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup spicy mayo, your recipe
- 2½ tablespoons Spanish onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons mayo
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided use
- ½ pound cream cheese
- 2 avocados
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 brioche buns
- Pickled peppers, your choice
- Masa chips, as needed
Toss cabbage with vinaigrette; set aside. Peel, devein and butterfly shrimp and toss with rice bran oil, sambal olek and garlic; marinate 1 hour. Cook shrimp in a sauté pan over high heat, 5 minutes. Cool and toss spicy mayo.
Combine onion, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and cream cheese to make schmear. Mash together avocados, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice and salt.
To compile sandwich, spread each brioche top with cream cheese schmear. Divide avocado among the bottom buns, add shrimp, cabbage and pickled peppers. Add masa chips and top with bun. Make 4 sandwiches.
Chef-owner Stephanie Izard; Little Goat Diner, Chicago