Spaghetti Squash Cacio e Pepe
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked
- ¾ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra as needed
- ½ cup green olives, pitted
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup olive brine
- 1 small spaghetti squash, roasted*
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1½ cups black olives, dehydrated and chopped
- 1 cup sunflower sprout tops
- Nasturtium flowers and leaves for garnish
- Salt flakes
Blend sunflower seeds, water, lemon juice, yeast, peppercorns and 1 teaspoon sea salt until smooth and creamy; set aside.
Combine olives, parsley and brine, and blend until smooth; set aside.
Sprinkle squash with salt and toss. Add arugula, and toss with 1 cup black pepper mixture.
Splash green olive puree on four plates, top with squash and garnish with dehydrated olives, sunflower sprouts, nasturtium leaves and flowers. Sprinkle with salt flakes, and serve. Makes 4 servings.
*Plant Food + Wine’s recipe calls for zucchini. Substitute with 4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced and cut into strands.
Executive Chef Scott Winegard; Plant Food + Wine; Venice, California