Slow-cooked Chickpeas on Toast with Poached Egg
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided use plus 1 tablespoon to finish
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ teaspoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 1 beefsteak tomato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon superfine sugar
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 eggs, poached
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- Salt and black pepper
Soak chickpeas overnight in water with 2 teaspoons baking soda. Drain, rinse, cover with water and cook over high heat, 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Combine 2 tablespoons oil, onion, garlic, tomato paste, cayenne, paprika, red peppers, 1 teaspoon salt and some black pepper in a food processor, puree. Cook 5 minutes; add tomato, sugar, chickpeas and a scant 1 cup water. Cover and simmer low 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove lid and cook final hour to thicken.
Grill bread and brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Spoon chickpeas over bread, top with egg, sprinkle of za’atar and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Makes 4 servings..
Reprinted with permission from Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi, copyright 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House LLC.