Schupfnudeln (Cheese and Potato Dumplings)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, cooked in salted water
- ½ cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces quark or farmer cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Canola oil or butter, as needed
Pass the warm potatoes through a ricer and add flour, parsley, chives, salt and nutmeg to combine. Fold in cheese and egg.
Knead dough gently in the bowl until smooth, pliable and moist, but not too wet. 4. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll out to about ½-inch thick. Cut dough into strips, about 1½ inches long and ½-inchwide. Gently taper both ends of each strip. Transfer dumplings to light-dusted sheet pan.
Gently boil dumplings in salted water, about 8 minutes. Drain and cool.
To serve, brown in butter or flavorless oil on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Chef-owner Jeremy Nolen; Brauhaus Schmitz; Philadelphia