Salt Brined Celtuce with Nightshades
- 3 stalks celtuce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 1 cup eggplant, diced small
- 1 cup bell pepper, (orange yellow, red), diced small
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced small
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Coriander flowers, as needed
Peel celtuce and cut into rectangular bars. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil with 1% salt. Pour over the celtuce; cool.
Heat oil in saute pan and sweat the onions until tender. Add eggplant, peppers and tomatoes and cook until the nightshades are creamy but still retains some shape.
Season with garlic oil, salt and pepper. Serve the celtuce with the nightshades and garnish with coriander flowers. Makes 6 servings.
Chef-Owner Aaron Adams, Farm Spirit, Portland, from Food Fanatics Magazine