Roasted Lamb with Choricero Salsa
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup choricero paste
- 1 teaspoon pimenton picante
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 rack of lamb
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan with garlic until it sizzles; add Marcona almonds and reduce heat to medium low and sauté 1 or 2 minutes. Add choricero paste and pimenton picante (hot Spanish paprika) and cook for another minute. Finish with 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt. Remove pan from heat; set aside.
Brush lamb with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Brown top and bottom in a sauté pan over high heat. Place lamb in low-sided baking pan fitted with a rack and roast in a preheated 500°F oven. Check internal temperature after about 8 minutes. When temperature reaches 125°F, remove rack from oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes, until medium rare.
Slice rack of lamb into chops and place face-up on a warm platter. Drizzle any resting juices over chops. Top with a generous spoonful of the choricero salsa onto each chop. Makes 3 to 4 servings.
Chef Paul Canales, Duende, Oakland, CA, from Food Fanatics Magazine