Risotto with Swiss Chard Stems
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided use
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock or more if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups rainbow chard stems, diced
- Salt to taste
- Squeeze of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- Parsley as needed, chopped
Heat oil in medium-sized pot and saute onion for a minute, add all but 1 clove garlic, and rice and cook until the onion is translucent. Add wine and cook 2 to 3 minutes; add bay leaves. Start adding about . cups of stock over medium heat each time the liquid is absorbed.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in saute pan, add remaining garlic, swirl pan and lightly saute stems; set aside.
When risotto is tender and all but . cup stock has been absorbed, remove bay leaves, stir in stems, reserving some for garnish, correct seasonings with salt and lemon juice, add remaining stock, swirl in butter, add cheese and plate. Garnish with remaining chard stems and parsley. Makes 6 servings.