Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake)
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup soy sauce plus 2 tablespoons, divided use
- 1½ cups pastry flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup carrots, grated
- ¼ cup Chinese sausage, diced
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- Japanese mayonnaise
- Katsuobushi (bonito flakes), as needed
- Chives, chopped, as needed
- 1 sheet nori
Combine teriyaki sauce with cinnamon and 1/4 cup soy sauce; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, eggs, chicken stock and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Mix well to make a pancake batter. Add cabbage, scallions, carrots, ginger and sausage and mix well.
Place Canadian bacon in a cast iron pan heated on low and spoon in pancake mixture. Cook in preheated 350 F oven for 7 minutes, flip pancake and cook 5 more minutes.
Transfer pancake to a plate. Cut into slices. Coat with teriyaki sauce and drizzle with Japanese mayonnaise. Top liberally with katsuobushi. Sprinkle with chives. Cut nori with scissors and use it for garnish. Makes 3 to 5 servings.
Chef-owner Curtis Di Fede; Miminashi; Napa, California