Miss Lily's Jerk Chicken
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon tamarind puree
- ½ teaspoon Wright's liquid smoke
- ½ cup jerk seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 whole chicken, backs removed, quartered, brined
Combine 2 cups water with tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, lime, sugar, spices, tamarind and smoke to make jerk sauce; set aside.
Toss chicken in jerk season and marinate 24 hours. At service, grill or roast until juices run clear. Rest and serve with sauce. Makes 4 servings.
To make jerk seasoning, combine 2 bunches green onion, 1 medium yellow onion, ½ cup soy sauce, 20 whole allspice berries, 2 Scotch bonnet chiles, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 3 cloves garlic, 6 sprigs thyme, 1 knob peeled ginger root and 1 tablespoon kosher salt in a food processor. Pulse to form a paste. Makes about 1½ cups.
Executive Chef Adam Schop; Miss Lily’s 7A Café, New York