Grilled Nopales With Queso Fresco and Black Beans
- 1 #10 can del Pasado® Black Beans
- 25-50 ea. Fresh Nopales (cactus paddles)
- 3 lb. Cross Valley Farms® Red Onion, julienned
- 6 ea. Cross Valley Farms Limes, juiced
- 2 lb. del Pasado Crumbled Queso Fresco
- 2 oz. Monarch® Chopped Garlic in Oil
- 2 tbsp. Monarch Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Ground Mexican Oregano
- 4 oz. Cross Valley Farms Cilantro
- 4 oz. Cross Valley Farms Jalapeño Peppers
- 4 oz. Optimax® High-Stability Canola Oil
- Monarch Kosher Salt to taste
- Monarch Black Pepper to taste
Combine onions, lime juice and salt; set aside to pickle.
Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add half of the garlic and the cumin.
Stir and cook 2–3 minutes or until fragrant.
Add Black Beans, stirring over medium heat until hot. Set aside.
Drain cactus paddles; toss with remaining oil and garlic.
Grill over medium heat, turning to achieve attractive grill marks until tender, 4–6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble, top one large or two smaller freshly grilled cactus paddle(s) with ⅓–½ cup warm Black Beans.
Garnish with Crumbled Queso Fresco, pickled red onion, jalapeño slices and cilantro.
Serving size: 25 appetizer servings