- 1 cup sorghum, see note below
- 1 cup beluga lentils, see note below
- Roasted vegetables, recipe follows
- 8 soft-boiled eggs
- 15 to 20 sage leaves, fried
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- Smoked flaky French salt, as needed
- Zest of one lemon
Divide cooked grains and lentils among 8 bowls, top with roasted vegetables and an egg, fried sage and parsley. Finish egg with a few drops of chili oil and then smoked salt and lemon zest all around. Makes 8 servings.
Note: Soak sorghum overnight and cook with 4 cups water or stock and 1 tablespoon salt. Cook lentils with 1¾ cups water or stock and 2 teaspoons salt.
To roast vegetables, toss ½ pound each of diced kabocha (or other winter squash), carrots, cauliflower florets, Mutsu apple and 2 ounces maitake mushrooms cut into strings, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon each of chopped thyme, rosemary and sage. Roast in preheated 400 F oven 20 minutes.
Chef Leonard Hollande; Arbor; Chicago