Citrus Chili Butter
- 800 grams red finger chilies, half seeded and stemmed
- 100 grams red Thai chilies, seeded and stemmed
- 90 grams kosher salt, plus extra as needed
- 50 grams orange peel, pith removed
- 25 grams garlic, chopped
- 5 grams grapefruit zest
- 5 pounds unsalted cultured butter
- 31 grams lemon zest
- 27 grams Aleppo pepper
- 21 grams orange zest
- 14 grams lime zest
Place chilies, salt, orange peel and garlic into a food processor to make red chili ferment. Purée until smooth, transfer to a narrow container and let sit in a warm place for 24 hours. Strain 30 minutes in a chinois. Fold in grapefruit zest.
Meanwhile, beat butter with 64 grams chili; ferment until homogeneous. Fold in remaining ingredients, plus salt to taste. Add to seafood such as seared scallops, or to roast chicken.
Chef Moosah Reaume, Commons Club, Chicago, IL, from Food Fanatics Magazine