Chicken Al Forno with Salsa Verde
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons green olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup olive oil, divided use
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 small bunch each basil, oregano and arugula, chopped
- One 3-pound organic chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 ounces olive oil
Place garlic, anchovies, olives and capers in a large mortar and crush with pestle. Dribble in ¼ cup olive oil and season with salt. Add red pepper flakes, herbs and arugula and mash well. Dribble in the remaining olive oil and stir in pepper. Taste, adjust seasonings and let sit at room temperature.
Rinse the bird in hot water; pat dry. Remove the backbone to split bird in half. Season with salt and pepper.
Place lemons and chicken on two sizzle platters and brush with olive oil. Roast chicken in preheated 425 F oven for 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes, and cut into quarters, sauce with salsa verde and garnish with roasted lemon. Serves 2. Roast chicken is simple—in theory: Bird meets hot oven. Dish is plated.
Chef-owner Jonathan Waxman, Barbuto, New York