Apple and Cardamom Yogurt Parfait
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cup coconut, shredded
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Housemade yogurt, your recipe
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Bake in preheated 250 F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve uniform color. Cool and combine raisins; set aside.
Place apples and all remaining ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 40 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Remove cinnamon sticks.
In a parfait glass, layer granola, apple compote and yogurt, topping off with granola. Makes 6 servings.
Chef Brad Phillips; Asador, Renaissance Hotel; Dallas