Eight Chefs Advance to Final Round of the US Foods Next Top Product ContestVoters Send Their Favorite Recipes to the World Food Championships To Compete for $20,000 in Cash and Prizes
Rosemont, Ill. - Sep 30, 2013
After rallying the support of their local communities and driving online votes, eight chefs have earned their place in the final round of the US Foods Next Top Product contest. The finalists will head to Las Vegas to compete in a head-to-head cooking showdown at the World Food Championships for the chance to win $20,000 in cash and prizes and have their recipe developed into a nationally distributed product through US Foods.
“Each of the creative and delicious recipes that made it to the semifinal round has what it takes to become the Next Top Product, but after nearly 32,000 online votes the public has spoken and these eight recipes are those they would most like to see on menus near them,” said Marshall Warkentin, vice president of Marketing for US Foods. “It’s anyone’s game now and we’re looking forward to an exciting showdown at the World Food Championships on November 8.”
The final eight recipes beat out more than 1,000 submissions and represent the recipe that gained the most votes in each of the geographic regions US Foods serves. This year’s eight finalists are:
- Chef Robin Woodrow Isaac of Iron Bridge Restaurant and Wine Company in Warrenton, Va. and his Chocolate Stout Beer Battered Onion Rings
- Chef Jerrmy Gawthrop of Greenhouse Grille in Fayetteville, Ark. and his Black Bean Slider
- Chef Cheryl Hoban of Fair Hills Resort in Detroit Lakes, Minn. and her Cranberry Chutney
- Chef Ric Orlando of New World Home Cooking in Saugerties, N.Y. and his Eggplant Balls
- Chef Leonardo Maurelli of Central Restaurant in Montgomery, Ala. and his Braised Duck Wontons
- Chef Matthew Grover of Mardi Gras Resort and Casino in Cross Lanes, W.Va for his Roasted Corn Sauce
- Chef Scott Akkerman of Rellik Tavern in Benicia, Calif. and his Raven’s Claw
- Chef Tammy Judge of The Wooden Spoon in Bossier City, La. and her Mean Bean Espresso Cookie
In its second year, the Next Top Product contest seeks out America’s next hot food trend. The winning chef will have their original recipe developed into a US Foods product to be distributed as a part of the US Foods lineup next year. The chef will receive $5,000 in cash and a $15,000 kitchen makeover from US Foods Culinary Equipment and Supplies, ensuring they have the best commercial kitchen to continue to create unique, exceptional dishes in the future.
For more information about the Next Top Product contest and to check out the final eight recipes in further detail, visit: www.usfoods.com/ntp.
About US Foods
US Foods, Inc. is a large foodservice distributor serving chefs and foodservice operators across the country. Its customers include independent and multi-unit restaurants, healthcare and hospitality entities, government and educational institutions. The company employs approximately 25,000 people in 61 locations nationwide. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill.